New York State Tick Blitz results are now available!
You can view the 2021 to 2023 data to see where ticks were collected across the state over the past three years.
What is the Tick Blitz?
We are conducting a Tick Blitz in the Hudson Valley and Central regions of New York State to understand where different tick species are present in the state and track their northward expansion.
How Does it Work?
- Individuals who register to participate will attend online and/or in-person trainings to learn how to properly and safely collect ticks in their community
- Volunteers will receive a kit in the mail or pick one up at their local Cornell Cooperative Extension office. The kits will have everything they need to collect and return tick samples and protect from tick bites.
- Volunteers will collect ticks at a dedicated location of their choosing at least once between June 12 and June 23, 2023
- Collected ticks will be mailed back to Cornell University where they will be identified by our team of entomologists. Results will be made available online and shared with event volunteers.
When and Where?
Tick collections will happen between June 12 and June 23, 2023.
Targeted counties include:
- Long Island: Nassau
- New York City: Bronx - Kings - New York - Queens
- Mid- and Lower-Hudson Valley: Delaware - Dutchess - Orange - Putnam - Rockland - Sullivan - Ulster - Westchester
- Capital Region: Albany - Coumbia - Greene - Rensselaer - Schenectady - Schoharie
- Central New York and Finger Lakes: Chenango - Madison - Monroe - Onondaga
How Do I Sign Up?
The first step to registration is to watch our short informational video. This video provides an overview of what to expect as a volunteer in the Tick Blitz program.
After watching the video, you can register to participate using the link below. Supplies are limited, so register by May 19 to reserve your tick collection kit!
You can also contact us at email@example.com for more details.
Information and Training
We are offering several in-person training sessions this year. You can sign up for one of these training sessions on the Tick Blitz registration form.
- Albany County - May 24, 1:30pm - 3:30pm: Five RIvers Environmental Education Center, 56 Game Farm Rd., Delmar NY 12054
- Bronx County - June 9, 2:00pm - 4:00pm: Bronx River Alliance - Bronx River House, 1490 Sheridan Blvd., Bronx NY 10459
- Delaware County - June 1, 1:00pm - 3:00pm: Birdsong Farm, 38480 State Highway 10, Delhi NY 13782
We will also offer two virtual training sessions using Zoom.
You can access the recordings from this year’s training webinars through the links below.
Guides and Materials for Participants
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide is a PDF document where you can find key information for the Tick Blitz Week. The guide includes slides from the training webinar with a few updates, and more detailed instructions on storing and mailing the ticks!
You can also access the recordings from this year’s training webinars through the links below.
Data Collection Sheet - Use this form to record your sampling data while collecting ticks
Tick Blitz FAQ - Answers to frequently asked questions you may hear from passers-by when you sample for ticks
Tick Sampling Guide - Guide for collecting ticks from the field
To Do At Home - List of things to do once you are home after a day of sampling for ticks
Tick Storage - Instructions on how to store the ticks
Mailing Ticks - A guide for how you will mail the ticks back to Cornell
Tick Blitz Kit Return - Instructions on what items in the collection kit you will keep and which you will return to Cornell
Land Owner Permission Form - Please complete this form if you are sampling on private property
Results from the 2021, 2022, and 2023 New York State Tick Blitz events are now available! Follow the link below to see where we collected ticks across the past two years.