Vector Biology Boot Camp
The Vector Biology Boot Camp is offered by the Northeast Regional Center for Excellence in Vector-Borne Diseases to provide hands-on learning opportunities in vector surveillance program operations.
The program is designed for vector-borne disease professionals working in the Northeast, covering tick and mosquito species of medical importance to this region. Ideal program applicants include professionals whose job duties specifically involve vector surveillance and/or control.
Current Program Offerings (2023)
We are happy to announce that the in-person Vector Biology Boot Camp is back! We will be hosting this 3-day hands-on training event in partnership with the Pennsylvania State University Cooperative Extension in May 2023.
- When: Tuesday May 16 to Thursday May 18, 2023
- Where: Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center, 215 Innovation Blvd., State College, PA 16803
- Cost: Attendance to this event is no-cost. Participant housing and meals are included. Attendees are responsible for travel to and from the training site.
- Agenda: The final agenda for the 2023 Vector Biology Boot Camp will be available shortly. You can access a general overview of the modules included in this training event here.
How to Apply
The application window for the 2023 Vector Biology Boot Camp is now closed.
Attendees gain hands-on experience in the latest methods for field collection and identification of medically important ticks and mosquitoes in the Northeast region of the US.
Vector Biology Boot Camp instructors have over 500 years of cumulative experience in the fields of mosquito and tick surveillance, identification, and control.
Attendees have multiple opportunities to engage with colleagues and counterparts from across the region, as well as interact with our team of vector-borne disease expert instructors.
The Vector Biology Boot Camp curriculum covers the essentials of maintaining a vector surveillance program, including methods for data collection, equipment considerations, and best practices for communicating with the media and the public.
The Vector Biology Boot Camp Workplace Impact Assessment was published in summer of 2020. This brief report provides a summary of how program attendance has influenced workplace operations for attendees to the 2018 and 2019 Vector Biology Boot Camps.
Online Lecture Series Recordings
You can access recorded presentations from the 2021 Virtual Vector Biology Boot Camp available through the Cornell Video on Demand service. Simply complete the user registration form below to gain access to these recordings.
Vector Biology Boot Camp Recording Access Form
The 2021 Virtual Vector Biology Boot Camp covered the following topics:
- Arthropod Biology & Behavior / Major Regional and Emering Diseases
- Mosquito and Tick Collection & Processing Methods
- Data Management & Analysis, Mapping, and Advanced Spatial Statistics
- Taxonomy of Mosquitoes and Ticks
- Vector Control for Mosquitoes and Ticks
- Public Health Communication
- Vector-Borne Disease Diagnostics
- Pesticide Resistance Monitoring and Mosquito Colony Maintenance
- Monitoring for Metastriate and Ixodes ticks
- Regional Networking Opportunity
"If you are looking for an exceptional educational experience of the state of art status of vector borne diseases from mosquitoes and ticks, put on by outstanding and nationally recognized subject matter experts in a concise and well organized fashion, then this training is for you."
"This was an amazing opportunity that everyone should take advantage of. The content was appropriate for a wide variety of vector control professionals, and the connections made during my time here are invaluable."
"The vast amount of knowledge, talent, and experience provided, not only by the excellent instructors, but also by fellow participants led to an intensive three days that benefited novices and long-time vector professionals alike."