We are gearing up for the 2022 New York State Tick Blitz!
Access details below about which counties we will be focusing on for this year’s Tick Blitz, how you can sign up to volunteer, and where you can learn more information about this community-based science event!
What is the Tick Blitz?
We are conducting a Tick Blitz in the Hudson Valley and Central regions of New York State to understand where different tick species are present in the state and track their northward expansion.
How Does it Work?
- Individuals who register to participate will attend online and/or in-person trainings to learn how to properly and safely collect ticks in their community
- Volunteers will receive a kit in the mail or pick one up at their local Cornell Cooperative Extension office. The kits will have everything they need to collect and return tick samples and protect from tick bites.
- Volunteers will collect ticks at a dedicated location of their choosing at least once between June 20 and July 1, 2022
- Collected ticks will be mailed back to Cornell University where they will be identified by our team of entomologists. Results will be made available online and shared with event volunteers.
When and Where?
Tick collections will happen between June 20 and July 1, 2022.
Targeted counties include:
- Long Island: Nassau - Suffolk
- New York City: Bronx - Brooklyn - Kings - New York - Queens - Richmond
- Mid- and Lower-Hudson Valley: Delaware - Dutchess - Orange - Putnam - Rockland - Sullivan - Ulster - Westchester
- Capital Region: Albany - Coumbia - Greene - Rensselaer - Schenectady
- Central New York and Finger Lakes: Monroe - Onondaga
How Do I Sign Up?
Register by May 27, 2022 to receive your tick collection kit, as supplies are limited.
Information and Training
We have an informational session scheduled for Tuesday May 10 from 12 - 1pm ET for anyone interested in learning more about the 2022 NYS Tick Blitz.
Two training webinars are scheduled for Wednesday June 8 from 6 - 7pm ET and Thursday June 9 from 12 - 1pm ET.
Register for these webinars by completing the 2022 NYS Tick Blitz Registration Form.
In-Person Training Events
In-person training events are scheduled in select locations. Register for these training events by completing the 2022 NYS Tick Blitz Registration Form.
- Suffolk County – Friday June 3, 2022 from 10:30am - 12:30pm. Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge, 340 Smith Road, Shirley, NY
- Onondaga County – Friday June 10, 2022 from 9:30am - 12:00pm. Cornell Cooperative Extension Office, 6505 Collamer Road, Syracuse, NY
- Albany County – Wednesday May 25, 2022 from 1:00pm - 3:00pm. Five Rivers Environmental EducationCenter, 56 Game Farm Road, Delmar, NY
Guides and Materials for Participants
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide is a PDF document where you can find key information for the 2022 Tick Blitz Week. The guide includes slides from the training webinar with a few updates, and more detailed instructions on storing and mailing the ticks!
Tick Blitz FAQ - Answers to frequently asked questions you may hear from passers-by when you sample for ticks
Tick Sampling Guide - Guide for collecting ticks from the field
To Do At Home - List of things to do once you are home after a day of sampling for ticks
Tick Storage - Instructions on how to store the ticks
Mailing Ticks - A guide for how you will mail the ticks back to Cornell
Tick Blitz Kit Return - Instructions on what items in the collection kit you will keep and which you will return to Cornell
Results have been grouped by zip code. Each dot on the map represents a zipcode where ticks were collected. The size of the dot represents how many ticks were collected in that zip code. Note: The dots are placed at the center of the zip code and do not show the locations where actual tick collections occurred.